Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chemistry Nerd

I am feeling rather nostalgic about college today. Not in the way I usually miss college... frat parties, mixers, being hungover in the dining hall and day drinking in a baby pool in the parking lot... No, this is more of a "I'm so lucky I had such great professors" feeling.
Today the National Science Foundation awarded my favorite college professor, Dr. Joel Karty (better known as Dr. J) a $180,000 3-year research grant. HOLY SMOKES! It's hard enough to be recognized for research at an academic institution but this is a tremendous honor. And I can't think of any one who could deserve it more.
I fondly remember asking Dr. J if he would write me a recommendation for medical school. He very directly said, "Brooke, I think you're smart enough but you need to show more time management." Ouch, he said the TRUTH!? It was just what this 20-year-old, socially-sidetracked, sorority sista needed to hear. In the following months I was transformed into a medical school hopeful. He wrote me that letter and many more after that...
And in the same thought bubble I remember a professor that took interest in me later in my chemistry studies. Dr. Gooch, my organic and NMR professor. The last day of finals he stopped me in the hall and said "Brooke, congrats! You knocked the pants off those people on your test!" I felt really cool. R.I.P. Dr. Gooch, you are missed.
I loved everything about Elon! And I'm happy for all the professors that help to instill a since of pride in myself. I wouldn't be where I am today without all their influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment